Welcome at the DAAD Information Centre in Riga for Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania!
On our pages, you will find information of all kinds about studying and doing research in Germany. We are here to help you with organizing and conducting academic collaboration between institutions in Germany, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. We provide advice regarding scholarships for students and researchers at all levels of their academic education and career. In addition, we understand ourselves as a nexus for the work of German Philologists and other German-related academic activities in North Eastern Europe.
The DAAD scholarships for the academic year 2021/2022 have been announced. HERE you will find the list of funding opportunities.
In addition to our everyday activities, we also organise information events on a regular basis. In addition to the events shown in the calender, we will also gladly visit your organisation – regardless if you work for a school, a university, a business enterprise, a political institution, an NGO or another institution. Topics can be agreed individually – our visit may be a lecture, a participation in a discussion, a personal conversation with a small group or take any other foirm.
Additionally, we are also happy to participate in career consultation events or fairs, "International Days", "Study Abroad" fairs and in similar events at your institution.
Our events can be held in either German, English, Latvian or a mixture of these languages. Events with elements of Estonian, Lithuanian or Russian are also possible with prior arrangement.
Our regular services are for free.
Even though we are open to individual arrangements, we suggest the following standard events for our visit in your institution:
1. "Classical" information lectures: A presentation on studying and research opportunities in Germany, as well as on scholarships (the focus of the lecture may shift between studying and research according to prior agreement).
2. A life with the German language from kindergarten to a research scholarship: Opportunities of proficiency in the German language (suited for e.g. teenagers and parents of smaller children).
3. The German language in the world and in the Baltic region in history and today - still an important international language
4. Scholarship applications workshops for students and/or researchers.
5. Quizzes and games – the German language and Germany: Closer than you might think! Suited for teenagers. The event may include a practical "linguistic landscape" investigation of the presence of the German language in the neighbourhood of your organisation.
6. German for children – a playful look at a language not quite as foreign as children may think, and at things related to it.