For the Start

International Office

Upon arrival and in the course of your studies, you can rely on the services offered by the International Office of your university. Many International Offices organize welcome parties, guided tours through the university town and tutoring programmes. Your personal tutor will help you complete the formalities with the authorities, like the registration at the university’s Registrar's Office ("Studierendensekretariat") and at the city's Local Registration Office ("Einwohnermeldeamt"), will help you look for a place of living and support you when you open a bank account.

Registrar’s Office

Before you start your studies, you will have to register (matriculate) at the so called "Studierendensekretariat" of your university. You have to register in person; registration dates as well as the documents needed may differ.

Bank account

If you have to pay a bill or fees (for example, to register at university), you will normally do this by bank transfer. Therefore you need a so called "Girokonto", which is usually free of charge for students.

Health insurance

If you don't have a health insurance policy, you cannot register at your university in Germany. Students from Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania continue to be insured via the health insurance in their country of origin. In most cases, you have to present a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Before departing for Germany, please make sure that you find out which papers you have to present.

Information about EHIC in Estonia, Latvia und Lithuania

You may also get insurance from a public health insurance carrier in Germany. These carriers offer students favourable tariffs.

Local Registration office

Within your first two weeks of your stay in Germany you should go to the local registration office ("Bürgeramt", "Meldebehörde", "Einwohnermeldeamt") and advise them of your address in Germany. You will need the following documents:

  • Passport
  • Proof of address in Germany
  • Proof of adequate health insurance cover (Krankenversicherungsschutz)
  • Enrolment certificate of your university

Further information you will find here.


If you are a EU citizen, no restrictions apply on the German job market. Therefore, you may work as much as you like while studying. However, since study programmes in Germany tend to be very intensive, your studies will certainly occupy the biggest part of your time.

Further information is available here.


Deutschland-Portal is the official and independent web portal of the Federal Republic of Germany. It offers a representative collection of important links to German sites and sources in six languages with information in the following categories: education, health, culture, media, sport, government, tourism, business and industry, education and research.

The website Facts on Germany, provided by the Foreign Office of the Federeal Republic of Germany, is a manual covering many important aspects of Germany.


Additional information